SUMMARY | PHOTO GALLERY | NEXT | PREVIOUS | | LEXICON

PLACES OF INTEREST

 

 

 

  Wat Chedi Luang

 

Thailand

The eastern niche of the 82 meter high stupa of Wat Chedi Luang in Chiang Mai, from 1468 onward, housed the Emerald Buddha (fig.), until the latter was moved to Luang Prabang, some time after the pinnacle of the structure collapsed in an 1545 earthquake.

 

Until that time it had been the largest building of the Lan Na Kingdom. It was built between the 14th and mid 15th century by King Phaya Saen Meuang Ma, in order to house the ashes of his father, King Phaya Keua Nah (fig.).

See TRAVEL PICTURES (1), (2) and (3).

1847'13.1"N 9859'11.6"E

 

  Wat Chedi Luang