SUMMARY | PHOTO GALLERY | NEXT | PREVIOUS | | LEXICON

PLACES OF INTEREST

 

 

 

  Golden Palace Monastery

 

Myanmar

Shwenandaw Kyaung at the foot of Mandalay Hill (fig.), and which in English is known as the Golden Palace Monastery. The outside of this wooden edifice is deco-rated with countless carved statuettes of natsaw.

 

Natsaw are Burmese angelic beings that are erected to protect both the building and the people residing within it (fig.). Being a former palace building, which after the death of King Mindon Min (fig.) in 1878 AD was relocated from the Mandalay Royal Palace (fig.), the royal edifice features a stone mango staircase (fig.) leading up to the monastery.

THAILAND'S NEIGHBOURS & BEYOND TRAVEL PICTURE 1 TRAVEL PICTURE 2 TRAVEL PICTURE 3 MAP LOCATION DIRECTIONS

 

  Golden Palace Monastery