SUMMARY | PHOTO GALLERY | NEXT PICTURE | PREVIOUS PICTURE | | LEXICON

CITIES & PLACES OF INTEREST

  

 

 

  Sin Kyone Fortress

 

Myanmar

The remnants of Sin Kyone Fortress, located at the east bank of the Irrawaddy River (fig.), to the south of —and connected to— Ava. The fort is named after the village where its is located. The name sin means elephant and kyone means ‘stockade’ or ‘moat’.

 

It was built to protect the Mandalay capital against the British during the Third Anglo-Burmese War, and is one of three 19th century fortresses built for the purpose.

 

  Sin Kyone Fortress

 

  Sin Kyone Fortress

 

However, despite all the efforts, the bastions failed to prevent the British conquest in 1885 AD.

 

The fortress' square layout and its surrounding moat, as well as two canons and  are all that remain today.

See also THAILAND'S NEIGHBOURS & BEYOND.

21°51'21.0"N 95°57'33.6"E

 

  Sin Kyone Fortress