SUMMARY | PHOTO GALLERY | NEXT PICTURE | PREVIOUS PICTURE | | LEXICON

CITIES & PLACES OF INTEREST

  

 

 

  Tha Byae Tan Fortress

 

Myanmar

The ruins of Tha Byae Tan Fortress, located at the east bank of the Irrawaddy River (fig.), near the old Ava bridge or southern bridge (fig.) to Sagaing, southwest of Mandalay and just north of the mouth of the Myit Nge River near Inwa.

 

It was built under King Mindon Min (fig.) between 1874 and 1878 AD to protect the Mandalay capital against the British during the Third Anglo-Burmese War.

 

  Tha Byae Tan Fortress

 

  Tha Byae Tan Fortress

 

See also THAILAND'S NEIGHBOURS & BEYOND.

2152'01.6"N 9559'48.2"E