|Wang Witthayu (วังวิทยุ)
Thai. ‘Wireless Palace’. Name of
(fig.) on Witthayu Road
After having purchased land at what at that time was a suburb, he
hired a Swiss architect to design the new palace in a Swiss-German
style, while designing the interior of the palace himself. It was
built with a thick wall to prevent moisture damage from outside and
to maintain a consistent temperature inside, in order to store his
antiques and art works.
The Prince Regent lived there with his family until his death on 7
March 1951, after which his son Prince Piyarangsit Rangsit and
his wife, Princess
Wiphawadi Rangsit, took residence in the palace.
Today, Wang Witthayu is the property of their three daughters, who
have signed a heritage record that states that the ancient
collectible objects will be kept in their original location to
honour their ancestor.