Gawdawpalin Phaya (ကန်တော့ပလ္လင်ဘုရား)
of the Worshipped Throne’.
Name of an 11th Century AD Buddhist temple in Old Bagan.
It was built by King
(r. 1174–1211) after building the
However, the king
demised before its construction was completed in 1227 AD, during the
reign of his son King
Zeya Theinkha Uzana (r. 1211–1235), who is also known as
and Nadaungmya (Nantaungmya).
is circa 55 meters high
second tallest temple in
two storeys tall and with three lower and four upper terraces. It is
similar in layout to
Sulamani Phaya. It
has a square floorplan, designed with
porticoes on all four sides, yet with the eastern portico projecting
outwardly further than the others and being the main entrance. On
the ground floor, there is a
that runs around a central block, which has Buddha images against
all of its four sides. There is a story saying that King Narapati
Sithu became so powerful and proud that he proclaimed that his
powers were more glorious than those of his ancestors and his
accomplishments unmatched. Though, just after boasting about this,
he became blind and remained so until he repented for his misconduct
and paid obeisance to his ancestors in atonement.