The Masjid (Masyid)
Kapitan Kling (Keling) is the oldest mosque in Penang, and was first built by
the troops of the East India Company, towards the end of the 18th century. It is
named after the headman (Kapitan)
of the community of Indian (Keling) Muslim settlers, who had arranged the
donation of an 18 acre plot of land from Sir
George Leith, the then Lieutenant Governor of Penang,
when the mosque wished to expand, in November 1801.