SUMMARY | PHOTO GALLERY | NEXT PICTURE | PREVIOUS PICTURE | | LEXICON

CITIES & PLACES OF INTEREST

  

 

 

  Siam Commercial Bank head office (old)

 

Thailand

The building of the first ever head office of the Siam Commercial Bank at Talaat Noi in Samphan Thawong, located on the East bank of the Chao Phraya River. It served as the head office of the SCB from 1910 to 1971.

 

Siam's first own domestic bank was established on 30 January 1907, with the royal support of Prince Mahison Rachareuthay (fig.), the then Minister of Finance and a half-brother of King Rama IV.

 

  Siam Commercial Bank head office (old)

 

  Siam Commercial Bank head office (old)

 

Since 1996, the SCB head office has relocated to the Chatuchak area (fig.), but the Talaat Noi building is today still used as a branch office, and though renovated in 2007 to celebrate the bank's centenary, it still has all the allures of its former glamour.

See POSTAGE STAMP.