SUMMARY | PHOTO GALLERY | NEXT PICTURE | PREVIOUS PICTURE | | LEXICON

CITIES & PLACES OF INTEREST

  

 

 

  Wat Yai Chai Mongkon

 

Thailand

The temple Wat Yai Chai Mongkon in Ayutthaya was presumably built in the reign of King U-Thong, not so long after the founding of the capital in 1351, and was initially named Wat Pah Kaew.

 

Its name was changed in 1593 after King Naresuan's in 1592 had a bell-shaped chedi (fig.) built by royal command, in order to commemorate his victory over the viceroy of Burma, whom he had defeated in a duel fought on the backs of war elephant's in Nong Sarai, near Suphanburi.

 

  Wat Yai Chai Mongkon

 

  Wat Yai Chai Mongkon

 

The chedi is enclosed within a boundary wall that on the inside has a gallery with rows of Buddha images, all seated in the bhumisparsa pose.