FORWARD | BACK | DATA FILE | REGIONAL MAPS | LEXICON | MAP | SUMMARY

PROVINCIAL ESCUTCHEON

  

 

 

 

 

Nong Kai

The escutcheon of  Nong Kai shows a bush of bamboo stems and a marshland (nong), and in the background some mountains. History tells us that king Phra Nang Klao commissioned the Phraya Racha Supawadi to lead his troops in the attack on Krung Sri Satana Kanahut in order to win back this rebellious city. Racha Supawadi then let thao Suwo (Boonma) choose a spot close to Krung Sri Satana Kanahut to build a new city in order to guard the area against any possible future rebellion. He chose a large marshland with lots of bamboo, a place known as Nong Kai, and in 1827 Phra Pathum Thewa Phibaan was appointed by Suwo as the local ruler of this new city.

See POSTAGE STAMP.