|Sala Sahathai Samakhom (ศาลาสหทัยสมาคม)
Name of a royal hall
located within the compound of
It was built during the reign of King
and opened in 1874 AD, initially as a museum, to
keep the royal private antique collections.
Later, it became a military club, and in 1905 it was used to house
National Library, until that was moved to
Wat Mahathat Yuwaraja Rangsarit.
Today, the building is used as a
banquet hall by visiting dignitaries, who as guests of the Royal
Palace, are accommodated in
Originally, the columns on the outside formed a gallery or kind of
around the building. The outer wall with its dark blue shutters was
added later. It is located to the left of the main entrance to
Wat Phra Kaew,
opposite of the Pavilion of
Regalia, Royal Decorations and Coins, and features on a Thai postage
stamp issued in 2005 (fig.),
the 100th Anniversary of the National
Library of Thailand.