It opened on 25 June 1959 after 5
years of construction and is the second bridge built over the Chao Phraya in
Bangkok, after the
Krung Thon Bridge (fig.).
Heavy congestion on the bridge led to the construction of the additional,
concrete and higher,
New Krung Thep Bridge, being built in 1996. It was built adjacently and is also
named after the road to which it connects.
See also POSTAGE STAMPS.