SUMMARY | PHOTO GALLERY | NEXT PICTURE | PREVIOUS PICTURE | | LEXICON

CITIES & PLACES OF INTEREST

  

 

 

  Dhammayazika Phaya

 

Myanmar

Dhammayazika Phaya is brick structure with a bells-shaped, golden zedi and was built in 1198 AD, by King Narapatisithu, in order to house four holy relics that the latter received from the King of Sri Lanka.

 

It has a pentagonal layout with three receding terraces, that contain a number of gilded stupas, several greyish sandstone chintha, as well as some outward facing and seated thevada-like guardian figures in red-orange-brown rust colour, whilst the walls of the highest terrace was originally ornamented with terracotta tiles depicting scenes from the jataka, though many of those have over time gone missing.

See also TRAVEL PHOTOS and THAILAND'S NEIGHBOURS and BEYOND.

2108'42.3"N 9453'00.4"E

 

  Dhammayazika Phaya