SUMMARY | PHOTO GALLERY | NEXT PICTURE | PREVIOUS PICTURE | | LEXICON

CITIES & PLACES OF INTEREST

  

 

 

  Chedi Pathumwadi

 

Thailand

The pyramid-shaped stupa called Chedi Pathumwadi at Wat Phrathat Haripunchai in Lamphun. It was built in 1064 AD by Queen Pathumwadi, the royal consort of King Athitayaraat, the then King of Haripunchai, who concurrently had the temple's Phra Borommathat Haripunchai, built (fig.).

 

It is made of bricks and has several arched niches, which used to contain Buddha images, akin to those on the chedi of Ku Kut Wat Chamadevi (fig.), although today most of them at Chedi Pathumwadi are missing.

 

  Chedi Pathumwadi

 

  Chedi Pathumwadi

 

It is topped with a golden pinnacle and is hence also referred to as Suwanna Chedi, which translates as Golden Pagoda.

See also POSTAGE STAMPS.